IBA provides the research platform to perform applied agricultural research to support local farmers and to conserve local biodiversity. A research group consisting of local academics and professionals will put concerted effort to identify key issues of local agricultural sectors and to develop research projects to provide solutions to local farmers. The following are some potential areas that research will be performed:
- A baseline study on soil health and fertility in order to provide extension service to support local farmers,
- Develop high nutrient and low cost compost materials from food waste for organic agriculture,
- Develop new biopesticides from Chinese medicinal herbal residues,
- Plant breeding programme for the selection of tolerant plant species for South China,
- Conservation of biological resources and biodiversity – Indigenous Resource Management through agricultural activities.